The Student News Site of St. Thomas Aquinas High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Senior Tatum Grimes eliminates Senior Maggie Payne.
WATER WARS
December 11, 2023
When Love Gets Ugly
When Love Gets Ugly
December 11, 2023
2023 State Champs!
Winter Sports Preview
December 11, 2023
A thrift shop showing the benefits of smart shopping
Smart Shopping
December 11, 2023
Christmas Movie Top 10
Christmas Movie Top 10
December 11, 2023

Christmas Movie Top 10

The 10 best Christmas movies to binge this holiday season

As winter starts to begin, and the weather gets colder, there’s one thing on the top of everyone’s mind. Christmas. One of the best ways to get in the Christmas spirit is movies and there are many good ones. Here’s a list of the top 10 most popular, loved, and watched movies to get you in the mood for the holidays.

1. Miracle on 34th Street

This classic Christmas movie isn’t very appealing to younger audiences these days due to it being filmed in 1947 and entirely in black and white. Miracle on 34th Street is a warmhearted story about a divorced mother and her daughter, who don’t believe in Christmas magic of course. The mother works at Macy’s department store and hires a mall Santa for the children. playing his role very convincingly, his sanity is questioned. He reveals that he is the real Kris Kringle. After being examined and determined to be a bit crazy, Kringle, along with a lawyer, goes to court to dispute these claims and prove that he is the Santa Claus we know and love. I had my doubts about this movie but if you give it a chance I’m sure you will love it.

1. The Muppet Christmas Carol

This movie takes a hilarious twist on the popular “Christmas Carol” storyline. In this 1992 Jim Henson production, we see Kermit and the rest of the muppets go through a retelling of the classic story by Charles Dickens. The muppets face the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future and make it a lot funnier.

1. The Santa Clause

The Santa Clause details a divorced dad, Scott, played by Tim Allen, and his son’s crazy adventure to the North Pole after Scott accidentally kills a man dressed in a Santa suit. The pair are transported to the North Pole where an elf explains that Scott must take the place of Santa until next Christmas. The father and son think that it is all a dream until Scott starts to gain weight and grows a white beard. They soon realize they weren’t dreaming and there’s work to be done to save Christmas. This is the first in a trio of movies, which are now Christmas staples.

1. A Christmas Story

We all know and love A Christmas Story. The adventures of young boy Ralphie as he gets closer to Christmas has delighted viewers for 40 years. Ralphie faces off against his bully, struggles to connect to his strict father and doting mother, and gets his dream gift for Christmas. with a recently released sequel, this movie will hopefully continue to delight audiences for another 40 years

6. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

This iconic Christmas comedy is beloved by many. Clark Griswold and his family want to have the perfect Christmas, including the perfect tree and the perfect Christmas lights. Everything goes wrong when the Griswold’s cousins start living on their property in a trailer. Things get crazier when Clark’s coworker decides he deserves Clark’s Christmas bonus. Everyone knows and loves this iconic movie.

5. White Christmas

Another oldie but a goodie. This classic features famous singer and actor Bing Crosby. Crosby is most famously known for his song “White Christmas ‘. This movie tells the story of two war veterans turned singing duo, who fall for a sister act. They go and stay in a small inn in Vermont, which they later learn is owned by the general they served under in the war. The general tells them that his inn is going to close down and the performers decide to put on a massive Christmas show to get his hotel back on the map. This movie has everything, music, dancing, love, and comedy. I recommend this movie if you have two free hours. 

1.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas

One of Jim Carrey’s most celebrated movies, How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a remake of the original Dr of Seuss story. a creature called the Grinch makes it his mission to ruin Christmas for the neighboring town of Whoville. joined by his pet dog Max, the Grinch tries his hardest to steal all the presents but is stopped by a young Whoville resident named Cindy Lou. With Cindy and the village by his side, the Grinch reluctantly begins to enjoy the holiday he thought he hated. 

1. Elf

The crazy story of a baby transported to the North Pole and raised by Santa’s elves has become a cult classic Christmas movie. Buddy the Elf goes on a crazy adventure through New York to find his birth father, who he learns is on the naughty list. Buddy’s father has to try and deal with his newfound son, who is convinced he is a real elf. Buddy has to go around New York, trying to bring back the Christmas spirit to everyone. 

1.  Love Actually

Love Actually tells the story of 9 people, all looking for love in different ways. Some of the most popular storylines from this movie are a relationship between the newly elected prime minister of England and his assistant, an author and his housekeeper who speak different languages, and a newly widowed father trying to help his stepson ask a girl out. Although the main theme of this movie isn’t necessarily Christmas, the entire movie takes place during a five-week countdown to Christmas Day. We see the love centered around the holiday and how the Christmas season brings people together. 

1. Home Alone

Home Alone is one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time. Kevin McCallister was left home alone after his giant family forgot about him on their way to Paris. He has to defend his home against a pair of burglars trying to break in on Christmas Eve. Kevin sets out traps and we see the burglars try to outsmart an eight-year-old. Spoiler Alert, they can’t. During this crazy night, Kevin’s mother scrambles all over the world to try and get back to her son. This movie is a must-watch every Christmas season.