The Student News Site of St. Thomas Aquinas High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

The Bucket List

In our first edition of “The Bucket List,” we will describe our wonderful experience at a football game at the University of Oklahoma.
Will Strout

Welcome to The Bucket List! Here you can follow us writers, Peyton and Kaitlyn, as we knock out our carefully crafted bucket list. After we complete an item on our list, we will write about our fun experiences. To kick off the bucket list, we traveled south to the University of Oklahoma, in Norman, Oklahoma, for a football game. It’s no secret that college football game days are a good time. With the diehard fans, lively tailgates, and loud stadiums, how could one not enjoy the gameday experience? Bucket List item #1 is complete, and here is our takeaway from OU’s gameday experience. 

Atmosphere

Having never gone to a collegiate football game in this town, seeing the atmosphere produced by the Sooner community for the first time is mind-blowing. Watching such a large amount of people all gathered together for the same event never fails to surprise me. Before the game, fans spend hours tailgating and walking around campus, feeding off of each other’s excitement for the big game. The restaurants around are filled with excited fans, all dressed up in OU gear. The University puts on fun pregame events for their fans, like a parade where dancers and cheerleaders cheered and welcomed all of the fans to their campus. The energy produced by the Oklahoma fans all merge together to create such a welcoming and exciting atmosphere. Once game time approaches, cheers and chants fill the streets as people head toward the stadium. On campus, it’s an unsaid rule that when someone shouts “boomer,” everyone around has to respond with “sooner,” which is the university’s slogan. As the sea of red apparel floods the university’s “Palace on the Prairie,” the energy rises and the fun begins. Everyone quickly gathered their snacks and headed to their seats. The university has unique chats fit just for cheering on their football team, and watching all of the fans recite their favorite cheers was awesome. All of the fans chant all game, and continue to feed off of each other’s good energy, which doesn’t leave anyone until after the game. From tailgates until the end of the 4th quarter, the atmosphere stays energetic and lively. 

Town

The main library on the campus exhibits the stunning red-brick architecture the University of Oklahoma takes pride in displaying. (Peyton Vena)

The town of Norman is what every college gameday campus should aspire to be. It’s easy to navigate, well kept, and has various types of stores and restaurants, all perfect for a lovely gameday experience. The campus is laid out simply and geometrically, which makes the campus easy to navigate. It’s also a fairly small campus, so getting around is always quick and perfect for walking. Another perk of being able to walk places on campus is the vanity of the town. Covered with green grass and well kept greenery, Norman is pleasing to the eye. With wide sidewalks, large trees, and fresh flowers, walking around campus is much more enjoyable. Another amenity of the campus is the extravagant architecture, inspired by Oklahoma’s signature “red brick” look. The bricks on the buildings are strategically designed and timeless looking. Despite the historic aspect of the buildings, they still stand to look fresh and sharp. Norman also has many restaurants and shops, perfect for college students and visitors in town for a game. The restaurants are filled with university swag and produce a fun atmosphere for students and families to hang out in. The various stores appeal to different tastes and styles, with many options for men, women, and children.

Until next time!

Kaitlyn and I enjoyed starting off our bucket list with this trip. We had a great time being in the lively atmosphere and seeing the beautiful campus. Neither of us expected to love the gameday experience as much as we did, and it’s safe to say we will return. We can cross off college football gameday off of our list, and move onto our next adventure!