The Student News Site of St. Thomas Aquinas High School

The Shield

The Shield

The Shield

Senior Tatum Grimes eliminates Senior Maggie Payne.
WATER WARS
December 11, 2023
When Love Gets Ugly
When Love Gets Ugly
December 11, 2023
2023 State Champs!
Winter Sports Preview
December 11, 2023
A thrift shop showing the benefits of smart shopping
Smart Shopping
December 11, 2023
Christmas Movie Top 10
Christmas Movie Top 10
December 11, 2023

Winter Sports Preview

A sneak peak of what you can expect this winter season!
Kshsaa website
2023 State Champs!

Girls Basketball is arguably one of the most successful programs at Aquinas, and girls basketball is back at it again this 2023-24 season! Seniors, Jamya McPherson, Tatum Grimes, and Kelsey Schenck set their sights on another state championship to conclude their final season with their 4th trophy. Last season they had a record of 21-3 and they are hoping to do it all again.

Boys Basketball has been in the works to make their team shine for this 2023-24 season. They have been working hard in the off-season and are ready to go out and compete! Last season, they had a record of 13-8 and are shooting to win the conference this year. With 10 home games, there are plenty of chances to come cheer on the boys!

Boys Swim and Dive is ready for this season. The boys are ready to swim fast. With a meet lineup consisting of strong competition, they have begun practicing to prepare for the season. Last season, Alex Moeller was a Kansas State Champion also taking home the title of STA’s first-ever Dive Champ! Assistant Coach Nigrin insists that swimming is a very difficult sport! Imagine running laps while spinning your arms in a circle and holding your breath. You have to be both physically and mentally tough to be a swimmer. The team is growing and they are ready to work hard! Let’s go swimming!

Wrestling is ready and training for their many tournaments this winter. With state in February, the team hopes to use their strength and end with a championship.  Last season, three Saints were state champions. Kaden Allen, a junior wrestler, said, “Most of our team this year is underclassmen so me and some other upperclassmen have stepped up and become good role models for them.” The team is ready to win a title and is ready to work hard together to complete that goal.

Men’s Bowling team From last season.

Bowling is on the rise at Aquinas! The team is growing and is eager for the tournaments to begin. The goal for the team is to make it to state. Last year, the boy’s team was only 40 pins away from the whole team-making state. Being so close to making it to the state will help them stay focused and determined to accomplish this goal. Senior Bowler, Alec Kanacares, reflects that he is excited about this season because he and the other seniors want to help the underclassman bowlers grow in their skills and teamwork, so they will leave the program better than they found it.