Top 3 Problems with STA Hallway Etiquette and How to Fix Them

Have you ever been stuck in a traffic jam just simply going to class?

Ashley Bendorf

Empty junior hall.

Ashley Bendorf, Reporter

Hundreds of polo-clad teenagers swarm the hallways. Chaos is around every corner. Recently, the hallways of St. Thomas Aquinas have turned into an obstacle course to get through. From people texting while walking, to taking the wrong door to the stairwell, hallway etiquette has been lost among both underclassmen and upperclassmen. Here are three problem areas in hallway etiquette and how to deal with them!

The stairwell during passing period. (Ashley Bendorf)

1. Stairwells

The stairwells function similarly to a two-lane road. If everyone stays in the right lane, no one gets in each other’s way. There are two simple things to remember when using the stairwell:

• Walk to the right

This creates an easy flow of traffic and ensures basic safety. 

• Use the RIGHT door 

This avoids a pile-up of hundreds of students trying to get through the wrong door. 

Another thing to consider about the stairwell concerns the stairwell in junior hall that leads to the Learning Commons area. There is a door in that stairwell that leads directly to the beginning of the English hall and main office area. Typically, juniors use this “shortcut” when going to Physics and English classes. This seems nice in theory, but instead of waiting for a clear path, people tend to shove their way through in order to get to the door. Using this “shortcut” is smart and helpful, but wait for a clear path before taking it!

2. Walking

Think of the hallway as driving. Would you text while driving? I would hope not. Walking and texting have become particularly troubling issues in the hallways. People on their phones tend to walk much slower than everyone else because they are too focused on other things. This causes a lot of annoyance for everyone else in the hallway because it is too crowded to get around them. Next time you feel the need to be on your phone while in the hallway, pull over to the side! It will make things a lot less complicated.

3. Crowding

Another specific issue in the hallways is crowding. People will see one of their friends and promptly stop in the middle of the hallway. This creates a traffic jam and makes something as simple as going to class more complicated than it needs to be. There are colored tiles on the floor to indicate where to stand in the hallway. The navy tile is for standing and socializing, while the white tile is for walking. Realistically, this is not enough space for more than one person, but somewhat adhering to the rules does wonders for the crowds! Obviously, this is not strictly enforced, but it is a helpful way to keep problems to a minimum. 

Hallway etiquette needs to be a priority for students. Hopefully, these tips and reminders can keep the hallways clear and chaos free. It keeps students safe and on time for class!