Love, Set, Match with the Tennis Girls

Megan Law talks about her experience as a tennis player.

Michele Gress

Senior tennis players pose as a team.

Emma Keenan, Reporter

The tennis girls are swinging into action this fall season. Varsity player Megan Law is ready to get started! Megan has been playing tennis now for seven years. She says that her favorite part is “playing matches, tournaments, and [spending time] with the people.” When asked what she is most looking forward to this season, Megan says, “I most look forward to playing several matches of the sport I love and playing with the most amazing teammates.”

Like anything in life, tennis comes with its own challenges. Megan says that the most difficult part of tennis is “keeping your mental game strong and staying patient while playing matches. Tennis is a difficult sport. It involves inhibiting several forms of technique and several hours of practice. Tennis is 90% mental, 10% skill. You get out what you put in.” In tennis, the amount of mental control needed far surpasses just physical ability. Megan and all other tennis players are truly putting their all into the sport. 

Struggles and challenges allow the happy parts of life to be even better. They make the good memories worthwhile. Megan recalls her favorite memory of tennis, saying, “My favorite memory is when we traveled to Wichita, KS for a tournament in August 2022. Right as we got to the courts for practice, we got a flat tire. After, we went to The Old Spaghetti Factory for a late night carb run. The tournament was truly difficult but most importantly it was really fun and one for the books.” 

Nothing matters so much as the people in one’s life. In tennis, aside from tournaments, practices and the friendly competition, at the end of the day, that is all it is: a competition between friends. In any sport, each member of the team is valuable. Each one plays not only for the sport, but for each other. Megan says, “I [have] the best time not only playing tennis but spending valuable bonding time with my teammates.” Tennis doesn’t just build physical and mental ability, but it forms the skills necessary to be a part of any team. These skills exceed high school and college as they carry one through his or her entire life. Megan says, “Tennis is a sport that should be tried at least once in one’s life because that’s how amazing it is.” Follow Megan’s advice and stop by a court, pick up a racket and give tennis a try!